Thursday, February 26, 2015

World Class?

Lone Peak High School.  The greatest school in Utah.  4 straight state championships in basketball.  One national championship.  World Class.  World Class.  World Class.  Nationally ranked in soccer.  Nationally ranked in ultimate Frisbee.  World Class.  World Class.  World Class.  Number one in the state in academics.  The school that everyone loves to hate for being so dang good.  World Class.  World Class.  World Class.  One of the highest drug rates in Utah.  World Class.  World Class.  World Class.  5 attempted suicides in one week.  One Successful.
World Class.
World Class.
World Class.
When is Lone Peak High School going to realize this isn’t an oddball thing that happened?  PEOPLE STRUGGLE EVERY DAY.  People have things that they are going through.  
Lone Peak.  We are in no place to call ourselves “World Class”.  If I were a parent, I’d get my kid out here as soon as I could.  Lone Peak is not a safe place.  It is a place of comparing.  It is a place of “I have a state championship ring, so I must be a better person than you.”
 News flash: HIGH SCHOOL DOESN’T LAST FOREVER. 
I don’t care.  If you have a 4.0
I don’t care.  If you’re a star athlete.
All of that lasts for 3 years of your life, and then in a blink, it doesn’t matter. 
I don’t care.
I don’t care.
I care that you are here.
I care that you can experience this roller coaster of a life like me.
I care about you. 
I may not know you.  I may not know what you’re going through, but I care. 
I care.
I care.
I care.
When are we going to start caring?  Does it take a young man taking his life for us to start reaching out?  Because I guarantee next week nothing will be different.  People will still compare, because that’s what World Class is all about.  Comparing.
It doesn’t start with an “I see you” video.  It doesn’t start with “Be the Change”.
It starts with you. 

It starts with reaching out to EVERYONE.  Weather they’re in your group of friends or not.  Would Tarik be here today if we could have reached out to someone hurting?  I don’t know.  But isn’t it worth the effort?  Does it really take much effort to smile?  To say hi?  No.  Reach out.  Be a friend.  That’s how we can be a “World Class” school. 

3 comments:

  1. i really liked this post. its real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that we can be a world class high school, and that it starts with people choosing to make themselves word class people. And there are people who have been doing that, and there are people who can be doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Congrats on graduating, you've completed the easiest part of your life!

    ReplyDelete