Sunday, April 12, 2015

#Blessed

For Spring Break I went on a cruise to Ensenada Mexico.  I had the time of my life, made memories with the people I love the most, ate more than I thought was humanly possible; but that’s not what stuck with me from my trip.  As we walked the streets of Mexico, I saw more poverty than I had in my whole life.   I saw people as old as 90, sitting of the side of the dirt road, begging because they are to old to work.  I saw men out in the fields picking crops; doing anything they can to support their families.  I could see little boy’s ribs, as I knew they would probably go hungry that night.  Our cab driver had to leave his family in Cambodia to come to America to find work, and send everything he had back to his family, only being able to visit once a year.  All this while I was letting someone else clean my room, make my food, and entertain me.

The day before we left, my sister was upset because she wasn’t getting the iPhone 6.  She’s 10.  I don’t blame her for feeling upset, I blame the society we live in for thinking it’s a bad thing to not have the latest and greatest thing out there.  While we were having dinner, my dad was planning another cruise for when I got off my mission.  We were spending more time thinking about having fun in the future we forgot to enjoy ourselves in the present.


I think we all need to remember every single day how blessed we truly are.  I know that we all may not have it as easy as others, but we all have something to be grateful of that.  Hold on to it, and never let it go.  Live in the now, be kind to everyone, I don’t know if anyone is still reading this at this point but I think we all need to do a little better at being grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment