Sunday, March 15, 2015

Post High School

May 28th, 2015

I'm walking across the floor of the UCCU Center.  I look Rhonda Bromley in the eye, seeing her smiling face, handing me that little piece of paper that says, "Congrats Chuck, childhood is over.  Welcome to the real world."  This day is bitter sweet, I don't want it to come, yet I can't wait.  I'm afraid.

July 15th, 2015

I'm sitting in the backseat next to my sister.  My parents are in the front.  We're all crying, talking about how I'm gunna do so great.  How I'm gunna be so missed.  I can't wait to get out of the car and start my new adventure.  I want to turn around and stay at home with my family.  We pull into the MTC and I give my mom one last long hug.  That's the last time I'll see her for two years.  I'm afraid.

July 15th, 2017

I'm staring out the plane window, wondering what is lying ahead of me.  I haven't been with my family in two years.  I've changed, they've changed.  What if they're not at the airport?  What if we have differing beliefs?  I can't wait to see my family.  I don't want them to be different.  My sister is 17 years old now.  What if I don't recognize her?  I'm afraid.

August 26th, 2019

I'm enjoying my last night out with my best friends as an unmarried man.  We're all having a good ol' mormon time.  This is the last time I'll be responsible for only myself.  I love her to death, but what if I can't provide?  What if we grow apart as time slips away?  What if the fire goes out?  I'm afraid.

February 2nd, 2022

I look through the glass wall at that little crib with my baby girl in it.  She's smiling.  I am the happiest man in the world.  She is my angel.  What if she grows up to fast?  I want her to stay that little crib forever.  I can't bear to bring her out into the 'real' world.  I'm afraid.

April 16th, 2043

My little girl is all grown up.  I'm walking her down the aisle, and I can't help but cry.  She turned out more beautiful than I could imagine.  How can I give her to a man that is no older than I was?  Can he provide for her?  Will he love her forever?  I'm afraid.

November 22nd, 2088

I'm sitting in the front row, as my daughter reads the eulogy beautifully.  She scripts the life of my wife perfectly.  I sit quietly as I hear the words, the last memories of my beautiful wife.  I go home to an empty house.  I am afraid.

But then I think.  All the other things I was scared about turned out okay.  So I'm not afraid anymore.  Because I know that everything will turn out okay,

3 comments:

  1. i almost got teary eyed reading this. the perspective of this was an amazing choice. one of my new favs chuck. thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. It has made me sad but is also made me so excited for the future. I love this. Thank you. "All the other things I was scared about turned out okay." I love this line. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different. Good.

    Good luck with your life.

    ReplyDelete